2022 DesignPhiladelphia Festival

October 12–23
Location: Cherry Street Pier
Time: Times Vary

DesignPhiladelphia returns to Cherry Street Pier on October 13 through October 23, with a special ticketed sneak peek on October 12. Join us for weeks of free, interactive exhibitions, events, and more in celebration of the city’s best and brightest architecture and design creators.

Events and exhibitions are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.

DesignPhiladelphia Kickoff Party (TICKETED EVENT)
Wednesday, October 12, 5:30 pm to 9 pm
Get the first live look at the interactive installations and exhibitions filling the pier and socialize with other designers and enthusiasts. Food and beverage will be provided. Cost: $95. Learn more.

Featured Installations
On display from October 12 through October 23, Pier Operating Hours

  • Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design 2022 Student Exhibition
    Drexel University’s Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design is exhibiting exemplary student work from across media, arts, and design disciplines. This installation showcases student explorations of material, form, and function as they engage issues from the pragmatic to the speculative.
  • Tuft the City: Interactive Installation
    Tuft the World instructors will assist festival attendees in tufting a collection of rugs that illustrate Philadelphia-inspired motifs that highlight design elements and architecture of the city.
  • Emerging Designers Showcase
    Philadelphia is a growing contemporary design hub on the east coast with a myriad of designers calling our city home. Either popping up in old neighborhoods, reimaging forgotten locations, or making some noise of the social sphere we are seeing makers, crafters, and fabricators showcasing a fresh take on traditional designs. The Emerging Designer Showcase aims to highlight the designers of our region that are redefining what craft is. Enjoy these participating designers: Ray Baccari StudioDesign HuesXMAS, Design WorksOxford St FurnitureSuper Poor KidsOVUUD, and Bloomtime.
  • “Facciate:” Architectural Overlays in Italy, A Photographic Exhibition by James B. Abbott & Blaise Tobia
    James B. Abbott and Blaise Tobia both photograph extensively in Italy, concentrating on aspects of Italian material culture.

Opening Reception: Designing a Learning City
Thursday, October 13, 5 pm to 7 pm
Join us for a cocktail reception celebrating the opening of the Designing a Learning City Exhibition. Children spend only 20% of their waking time in school, and learning today occurs in and out of the classroom. What are we doing with the other 80%? Let’s reimagine our cities and public spaces as playful learning opportunities for all learners. By infusing our cities with playful learning opportunities, we can enhance children’s cognitive and social development, better preparing them for success in the 21st-century. This exhibit is built upon the research supported by William Penn Foundation exploring Philadelphia’s Playful Learning Landscapes Initiative. Admission is free. Register today.

2022 DesignPhilly Kids Fest!
Saturday, October 15, and Sunday, October 16, 10 am to 3 pm
The DesignPhiladelphia Kids Fest is a weekend and festival experience bringing architecture and design to our youngest visitors and their caretakers through fun and creative activities at the Pier.

Presentation: Carbon + Clay Deconstructed
Thursday, October 20, 5:30 pm to 7 pm
Join the Tyler School of Art and Architecture at our Cherry Street Pier installation, Carbon + Clay, for a presentation on the installation.

Jeantrix Wearable Art Workshop (TICKETED EVENT)
Saturday, October 22, 1:15 pm to 8:15 pm
The Jeantrix wearable art workshop will consist of our artists Nyce & Homm hand-painting with consumers to create their very own wearable art piece. Cost: $20. Learn more.

Check out more DesignPhiladelphia events, by reviewing the entire schedule.