Each year, Cherry Street Pier welcomes a new cohort of artists, artist collectives, and nonprofits to be part of our artist-in-residence program, which seeks to foster a unique space for emerging and established artists to collaborate, create, and show off their work. Located in a large public space, the studios allow visitors to Cherry Street Pier to get a glimpse into the world of art-making.
The Pier seeks artists who reflect Philadelphia’s diverse, as well as traditionally under-represented populations; offer a broad range of artistic disciplines; are poised to benefit creatively and professionally from this creative community; and are eager to be a part of a collaborative, community-focused initiative. Once received, internal and external committees review the applications. Selected artists are invited to an interview with the selection committee. Artists are slated to be selected in December 2021 with move-in scheduled for February 2022.
The Pier offers eight (8) ground floor studios and six (6) mezzanine level studios for below-market rates. Resident artists have preferential access to the exhibition and performance spaces; an opportunity to interact with hundreds of thousands of visitors throughout the year; year-round activities and events in the space; and a collaborative relationship with the programming, marketing, and operations teams at the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation(DRWC).
- The eight (8) studios on the ground floor are 443 square feet and are $500 per month/per studio.
- The six (6) studios on the mezzanine level are 289 square feet each and are $400 per month/per studio.
- Rent includes all utilities and high-speed Internet.
- Studio tenants will be able to buy into Cherry Street Pier Artists Group Insurance Policy for a nominal yearly fee or provide a certificate of insurance.
- Licensing a studio entails additional rights to approximately 2,000-square-feet of collaborative workspace within the Pier and to preferential access to market and exhibition spaces within the Pier.
- All studios are fully conditioned with heat and air conditioning, as well as 100 AMP, single-phase service.
- Studios do not have their own plumbing, but there is shared access to a sink in the collaborative workspace and access to public restrooms in the Pier.
- Studios are unfurnished.
- Studios are accessible to artists 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The studios are managed by DRWC. Once selected, artists will be expected to sign a license agreement with DRWC to secure their space in the Pier. The standard term for the agreement will be one year, but DRWC is open to shorter-term licenses for those interested.
- After applications are received, internal and external committees will review the applications.
- Applicants moving onto the final round will then have an in-person/web-based interview with the selection committee
- Artists will be selected and notified in mid-December
- Artists will be move-in in February 2022
- Artist Studio Regulations
- Sign up for our Cherry Street Pier newsletter.
For inquiries, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.